Wednesday, October 31, 2012

etymology - Is English the only language that always capitalizes "I"?




Is English the only language where "I" is always capitalized, no matter where it occurs in a sentence? The other two languages that I'm familiar with don't do this.



In German, "ich" is only capitalized at the start of a sentence; the same is true for "yo" in Spanish.



If English is unique in this regard, or even if among a subset of languages that do this, is there a historical reason behind it? A philosopical or cultural one, or...???


Answer



English is at the least very lonely in this stance. We may very well be the only language that does capitalize the first person singular pronoun. Here's some reading to keep you busy.




Why Do We Capitalize I?



Only English Speakers Capitalize 'I,' But That Doesn't Mean We're Obsessed With Ourselves



Me, Myself and I



Why Do We Capitalize “I”?


No comments:

Post a Comment