Thursday, June 21, 2012

pronouns - "He and I", "Him and me"











Somebody taught me a rule of thumb how to discern if I should use "I" or "Me" when adding self to the end of a list of people in a sentence: Ignore the list, strip the rest and treat it only as if it was the singular "me", choose one that matches.




Still, often I see things like John and me went to the park. Is this just a common error or are there some specific rules where I will be replaced by me if appearing on a list?


Answer



Standard English requires I in subject position, producing John and I went to the park. Other dialects, however, allow me in subject position when the pronoun is coordinated with a noun or another pronoun. That is why you will see, or more likely hear, John and me went to the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment