Monday, September 30, 2019

verb agreement - Use of "is" and "are" when referring to a singular noun or changing the grammatical number

I have seen the question Proper usage of “is” and “are” when specifying multiple nouns, but it is a different questions than what I am asking.




I have two examples (both from songs) of "is" being used that doesn't quite sound right when sung out loud. I would like to know if these songs are correct in their grammar, or not.



The first is the song "Are You Not Entertained?" by A Broken Silence. The line is question is:




Are you not entertained? Of course you is.




And the second song is "I Am Not Done" by Rob Bailey and the Hustle Standard. The line in question is:





This is not the pain talking, this is called facts.




I know these are specific examples, but they are pretty unique and I couldn't figure this out on my own.



Thanks for the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment