Tuesday, September 10, 2019

orthography - Are line references capitalised?

When I write, I treat references as though they are proper nouns; for example, Chapter 10, Section 10, Line 10, Page 10. (As opposed to chapter 10, section 10, line 10, page 10 - no capital letter.)



[My short forms would be Ch.10, s.10, l.10, p.10]




Until now, I've never been picked up on it. I wrote a piece that involved numerous references to numbered lines. Here is an example from my piece:




Ham makes further attempts to connect with the reader in Line 26, where she writes...




This was corrected to "line 26" (no capital).



I can't really explain why I think references should be capitalised, but I surely must have picked it up from somewhere.




So, my question is - if not common practice, is there anything wrong with capitalising (line) references? Are there any style guides that have a preference for capitalised references?

No comments:

Post a Comment