Sunday, November 12, 2017

grammar - Will/would be able to



My friend: I am ready to go to any country in the world if there's a treatment.




Me: There's a hospital in the US – they WOULD/WILL be able to treat this.



What's the difference between WOULD BE and WILL BE here?
TIA.
I know there are a lot of questions about will/would but most of them are about which one's more polite. And I don't think mine has anything to do with politeness.


Answer



They generally mean the same thing, however "would be" implies that it is presumed based on the speaker's understanding, not necessarily acknowledged fact. For example, "would be" has a similar meaning to me as "There's a hospital in the US – I believe that they should be able to treat this."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/would


No comments:

Post a Comment