Sunday, November 12, 2017

errors - Use of “conscience” as verb



I’ve heard conscience used as a verb, in the phrase can’t conscience. For example,




I can’t conscience taking credit for what I didn’t do.




Is this use of conscience correct? From a Google search it appears this phrase is actively used, but I can’t find it in the OED or other dictionaries.



Answer



I believe you are encountering misuse of the word conscience by people who have an imperfect memory of a phrase such as “I can’t countenance” or “I can’t condone”.




coun·te·nance /ˈkountn-əns/ Verb: Admit as acceptable or possible. (Google)



con·done /kənˈdōn/ Verb: Accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue. Approve or sanction (something), esp. with reluctance. (Google)



No comments:

Post a Comment