Friday, September 22, 2017

grammaticality - "I was wondering what time it is" or "I was wondering what the time has been"

Can you tell me which option is more natural in this English sentence?





I'm sorry to trouble you but I was wondering what



(A) time it is
(B) the time has been







The whole story is that this multiple-choice question comes from a placement test for a coursebook. The complete question is as follows





I’m sorry to trouble you but I was wondering what



(A) time it is
(B) the time has been
(C) is the time?
(D) was the time?




I excluded (C) and (D) as ungrammatical and chose (A) as the most natural-sounding to me, but the answer key says that the correct answer is (B), which doesn't sound right to me. Now I'm a little bit confused.



This coursebook is for the Polish market and I am Polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment