Wednesday, September 6, 2017

grammaticality - "A lot of ideas" is or are?



My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether the phrase "a lot of ideas" should be followed with is or are. I say that it should be is because the verb is linking to a lot, not ideas. If it were "lots of ideas" I would say it is definitely are. He thinks, though, that since a lot is synonymous with several it should be are. Which is correct?


Answer



Logically you are correct; "a lot" is the subject of the sentence. Colloquially, "a lot" can also mean "many", which takes a plural verb.



If you were talking about a lot more directly as a lot, you would use the singular:




This lot of wares is being shipped to (address).
Up next at the auction is lot 6124.





For cases where I really mean "many" I try to say either "lots of" or "many" instead of "a lot of X are".


No comments:

Post a Comment