Monday, August 14, 2017

grammaticality - Interpreting ambiguous agreement


We're proud of our tortilla chips and we hope you'll agree.




It may seem trivial but I've seen similar remarks on other products and it just doesn't feel like a valid sentence because I can't determine what they hope I'll agree with them about.



I don't think I'm just missing out on the context as this sentence is preceded by nothing and is only followed by one more:





Remember, your satisfaction is always guaranteed with [our] brand products.




Am I supposed to share their pride?



Am I supposed to be agreeing that they are proud of their product? If so, is there really a difference between their statement and an example of me saying, "I like pizza and I hope you will agree."



Does anyone know if there is any sort of common characterization of this type of flaw?

No comments:

Post a Comment