Thursday, March 2, 2017

punctuation - Inconsistency in Strunk and White regarding serial comma



From Strunk and White's The Elements of Style, Chapter 2, Lesson 2:




In a series of three or more terms with a single conjunction, use a
comma after each term except the last



Thus write,





  • red, white, and blue

  • honest, energetic, but headstrong

  • He opened the letter, read it and made a note of its contents.




My question is: Why isn't there a comma after read it in the third example?


Answer



I believe there is a comma after "read it" in the third example in Strunk and White's Elements of Style. I'm looking for a version of the book that does not include the serial comma in that example but haven't found one.




Revision: I found one. It was a PDF copy of an older edition so I couldn't see the publication date. It appears that there was a typo in some versions where the serial comma was left out. Later prints include the serial comma per the style guide's recommendation.



Sorry, another revision. I forgot to give a link to a current copy: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/3697/the-elements-of-style


No comments:

Post a Comment