Sunday, March 12, 2017

differences - Have you not had lunch yet? Yes



In English, yes here means "Yes, I have had lunch".




Answering "no" will mean "No, I have not had lunch".



(My question isn't about how to answer this simple question)



However, in some languages, yes actually means "Yes, your statement is correct; I have not had lunch". Answering no would actually mean "No, your statement is incorrect; I have already had lunch".



I wonder what such a difference is called? Such difference can lead to mis-communication, as I have personally experienced. Is there any background information for the two approaches?


Answer



I think it's just a matter of meaning as opposed to the literal interpretation of words and syntax.




In English, the inclusion of not in OP's question simply signifies that the speaker expects the other person has not had lunch. But the meaning of the question isn't changed by this additional information, so there's no need for the response to be inverted because of it.



Do you not understand?


No comments:

Post a Comment