Saturday, November 12, 2016

grammar - About fantasy species/ race names



I'm not a native English speaker, but I like the language and want to learn all about it. I'm also an active world builder and I made a few species/ races, but I'm having trouble to see what is the multitude form of the species/ race names.



Here are the names of my created species:




Hryll, Anari, Korth, Quarth



So I understand a person can say 'I'm a Hryll' or Anari and so on. But what if I want to point to their people as a whole. Can I still say 'The Hryll are...' or do I need to turn it into Hryllian or something.



I couldn't find any rules on this because I don't really know what the name is of what I mean/ I'm looking for.


Answer



Geth (Mass Effect), Qunari (Dragon Age Inquisition), Draenei (World of Warcraft) all follow the rule where both the noun, adjective and collective name are the same.





  • I am a Geth/Qunari/Draenei soldier

  • I am Geth/Qunari/Draenei.

  • The Geth/Qunari/Draenei are preparing for war.



That doesn't mean it's required to be like that (you can make different derivations if you want), but that usage is accepted if the name is derived from another language (not spoken by the people referencing them).


No comments:

Post a Comment