Thursday, May 19, 2016

grammaticality - perfect tense to refer to the future



Some events are happening from time to time and I'd like a colleague of mine to notify me about the occurrence of those events next time they happen. So, I'm writing to that colleague:





I'm looking forward to hearing from you about an event having happened again.




In response I'm expecting to receive a message of the following sort: "Hey, finally the event has happened again, log into the system and look at the consequences. "



My question is whether my message to the colleague is OK or not? What's wrong and how I could ask about the same in a grammatically correct way?


Answer



Your message is ungrammatical because it uses a present perfect, which refers to a past interval of time, to refer to a future event. You could say "... about a recurrence of such an event."


No comments:

Post a Comment