Monday, May 2, 2016

grammar - How do you properly state that you like the pant(s) you are currently wearing?



My husband and I were discussing this about a week ago and it has been on my mind ever since.



Would you say "I like these types of pants", "I like this type of pant", or "I like these types of pant" to express that you like the style of pants you are currently wearing?



We asked our friends and they were just as baffled as we were.



Thanks!


Answer




I would say "I like this type of pants", since I assume that you are expressing preference for a single type. If you're holding a pair of jeans in one hand and a pair of khakis in the other, then you could say "I like these types of pants". The only time I have heard the singular word "pant" used is in the term "pant leg".



NB: "pants" means something very different in the UK than it does in the US!


No comments:

Post a Comment