Thursday, April 14, 2016

Why are present participle and infinitive equally acceptable for some verbs, but not others?

This question about "started teaching/to teach" made me realise that even though the present participle and infinitive are both acceptable after "started", that's not the case with other superficially equivalent "auxiliary" verbs...




She began crying/to cry. (both okay - and to me, mean exactly the same thing)



She ceased caring/to care. (both okay, but the infinitive seems slightly more "natural" to me)



It commenced raining/?to rain.



It stopped raining/*to rain.




He quit gambling/*to gamble.



We gave up trying/*to try.




What is it about those last four that prevents the infinitive form being acceptable?



I have a vague sense that in some usages the infinitive might have been more acceptable in the past ("It commenced to rain" sounds a bit "Victorian" to me), but I can't square that with my preference for "I ceased to care" over "I ceased caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment