Sunday, August 2, 2015

grammaticality - "i.e." with "me", "myself", or "i"?

I'm an engineer, and I'm writing an email that includes the following sentence (emphasis added for this question):




We need to let marketing weigh in on the naming of this feature, as an engineer (i.e., me) came up with the current name.





My personal rule for secondary personal pronouns is that I try restructuring the sentence to put the pronoun in the primary location and see what works. For the above, that would be:




We need to let marketing weigh in on the naming of this feature, as I came up with the current name.




This implies that the correct version of the first sentence would be:





We need to let marketing weigh in on the naming of this feature, as an engineer (i.e., I) came up with the current name.




... which sounds awful to this American ear.



What pronoun should I be using here? Or, should I avoid the issue by restructuring the sentence (and to heck with the perhaps forced levity)?

No comments:

Post a Comment