Wednesday, September 17, 2014

word choice - Using "use" with "to" and "for" when expressing purpose

I recently wondered about the use of "to use" and other verbs when expressing the purpose of an action.
I noticed that purpose is often expressed by having a verb followed by "for" and a progressive form, as in the following example:




  • For memorizing her shopping list, my grandma started using a cell phone.



Alternatively, this seemed acceptable, too:





  • (In order) To memorize her shopping list, my grandma started using a cell phone.



However, I recently received corrections for a text in which I frequently used to former version in conjunction with the word "to use".
This was changed by the corrector every single time, and I do not quite understand the reason for that.



Consider the following sentences:





  • I used a short example to explain my main ideas.

  • I used a short example for explaining my main ideas.



Is one of the two phrases incorrect or somehow discouraged? If so: Why is that, and what is the difference between "to use" and other verbs?



NOTE:



The example above may be more clear when switching to passive phrases:





  • A short example was used to explain the main ideas.

  • A short example was used for explaining the main ideas.



I think having "was used to" in that sentence makes it sound weird. That is why I preferred the version with "for" until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment