Saturday, September 6, 2014

Explain the verb tense in "I wish I never woke up this morning"



This is from a song by Police, Darkness:




"I can dream up schemes when I'm sitting in my seat
I don't see any flaws 'til I get to my feet
I wish I never woke up this morning
Life was easy when it was boring"





Shouldn't it be, according to www.eslbase.com, "I wish I havn't hadn't woken up this morning"?
(though I agree the latter flows worse)


Answer



Strictly speaking, by the rules of grammar, it should be




I wish I'd never woken up this morning.





But if you Google "I wish I never" you find that lots of people use constructions like




I wish I never woke up this morning.




For example:




I wish I never told you,
I wish I never met you,
I wish I never ever got drunk that night.





So, while strictly speaking this should probably be called bad grammar, it is nevertheless a quite common usage.


No comments:

Post a Comment