Wednesday, July 30, 2014

grammaticality - Is it "to my attention or to mine attention"?



I ran into this example at one of the EDX.org courses. This was said by a native English speaker. The phrase is




Please bring them [concerns] to mine or my teaching assistants' attention




I feel that this is incorrect and should be





Please bring them to my or my teaching assistants' attention.




The transcript of the course's video also says "mine".


Answer



I once told a student "fill free to correct each possible
error you think a native speaker might be saying. That sounds like a good hobby." I was being sarcastic.




In the meantime the text in your question title does not appear in the body of the question. Mine attention would be odd (because it's archaic) unless one wanted to sound really Germanic, but to mine or my teacher's attention, while seemingly incorrect to a potential pedant (and I'm sure you, like that student, are not one), is generally acceptable in conversational English. Not all utterances adhere to logical proof. And English possessive pronouns can get awkward at times, especially when coupled, (eg, my wife and I's), which some native speakers here have almost ridiculed but I don't have a problem with.


No comments:

Post a Comment