Thursday, May 8, 2014

word choice - "Expectations of" vs. "expectations for"

There are some questions related to this topic (Usage of "expect to" and "expectation to/of" and "Need of" vs. "need for"), but I haven't found one directly addressing this word combination.



I'm trying to determine whether I should use "expectations of" or "expectations for," in the following:




I had to reevaluate my expectations of myself.



I had to reevaluate my expectations of college.




I had to reevaluate my expectations of the future.




OR




I had to reevaluate my expectations for myself.



I had to reevaluate my expectations for college.




I had to reevaluate my expectations for the future.




Is one more grammatically correct than the other in all cases (regardless of the type of noun that follows)? Or, are they both correct in different cases; if so, what are they? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment