Friday, May 30, 2014

Meaning of "have feelings for someone"



I am wondering if this phrase always refers to romantic feelings. How do I express friendship arisen from a completely professional relationship?



For example, if I say this to my co-worker:





I am not the best judge for this situation, because I have feelings for you. Ask George how things are supposed to play out in a professional environment.




What I want to express is that I like her and think of her as a friend, and so am not the best judge of this situation. But I don't want her to think that I have fallen in love with her.



What's the appropriate way to say this?


Answer



This would be an appropriate and precise way to say what you intend:





I am too close to be the best judge for this situation, because I regard you as a friend. Ask George how things are supposed to play out in a professional environment.




The expression "to have feelings for" someone does not always mean romantic feelings. However, in my experience unless the context strongly suggests otherwise it is likely to be taken as romantic feelings.


No comments:

Post a Comment