Monday, October 7, 2013

word usage - Is the use of 'that if' discouraged?



Is the use of that if discouraged or even wrong? This may be a weird question, but in Dutch the use of dat als, literally that if, is considered an error.




So, for example, is the following sentence wrong?




She told me that if a fire breaks out, I should immediately call the fire department.




Would the following sentence be better?




She told me that I should immediately call the fire department if a fire breaks out.




Answer




So, for example, is the following sentence wrong?



"She told me that if a fire breaks out, I should immediately call the fire department."




No, this is completely acceptable usage in American English and, at least to my ear, is preferable to the alternative you suggested, although I cannot tell you why, other than that it sounds more natural and immediate to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment