Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Expression for a rare find?



Is there an expression along the lines of





Red cars, for the man, were like the birdwatcher's spatuletail




... assuming the spatuletail is a rare find for birdwatchers. I'm pretty sure I heard something like this not too long ago, but I can't remember what. It was definitely in that format - the profession and then something someone in the profession looks for, is unexpected to come across.



edit: I think I'm starting to recall that the expression was more along the lines of




the archaeologist's El Dorado





..or something similar, where it means a unique breakthrough or meaningful discovery of a field rather than an uncommon but still ordinary find.



Still though, I would like to know if there's an expression similar to the one in the first example.


Answer



I guess you mean 'difficult to locate/find', rather than 'rare'. The commonest idiom for objects difficult to locate is needle in a haystack.




Red cars, for the man, were like needles in a haystack.





This means the man found red cars very difficult to spot.



There are several related idioms for things that are hard to chance upon. A couple of them (also mentioned here):




  • scarce as hen's teeth

  • black cat in a coal cellar



No comments:

Post a Comment