Friday, July 27, 2012

grammar - Resolving ambiguity arising from "Change"

"Change" has two definitions that can cause some confusion:
1) Become different. 2) Replace something with a new or different thing. To clarify what I mean, below is an example sentence:




My favourite character changes all the time.




Could potentially be interpreted as either





(1) I discover/find new favourite characters very frequently.



or



(2) My favourite character remains the same, but he/she/it undergoes
constant character development.




So if (1) is what I intend to convey how can I word it differently to remove that ambiguity without being overly verbose or clumsy like (1)?




Please suggest alternative sentences.



One last thing, the sentence below is my own effort at tackling this question. Is it grammatically natural/sound? And does it solely denote (1)?




Who my favourite character is changes all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment