Wednesday, February 15, 2012

pronouns - "Me" or "I" in one-word answers

I've just read a couple of questions concerning the proper usage of the pronouns "I" and "me" in sentences like:




John and I went fishing





It seems clear and obvious to me, that when the pronoun is the subject of the sentence, we should use the subject pronoun.



My question concerns a different context, though. I'm curious as to which pronoun is correct when used in a short, one-word answer? So, when we hear a question like "Who wants to go fishing tomorrow?", should the answer be:




Me!




or





I!




My intuition tells me it should be the former, but I don't really know why.
Is there any underlying rule in English, that dictates which pronoun - subject or object - should be used in the above-mentioned context?

No comments:

Post a Comment