Tuesday, August 13, 2019

ambiguity - Can "myself" stand for both "me" and "I" in "my mother and I/me"?








In one of my older questions I asked for an explanation of the difference between “people like you” and “people like yourself”, where it's clear that yourself can stand instead of you in such sentence.



What bothers me more is another, more difficult situation:







Let's define the correct sentence:




My mother and I were standing at the bus stop.




Now, in the above sentence, can I emphasize my own person by doing the following?




My mother and myself were standing at the bus stop.








Also, trying with another sentence, but a bit difference:




They saw my mother and me standing at the bus stop.





Can I do the same with this sentence too?




They saw my mother and myself standing at the bus stop.







If both of the above situations are correct, that means that myself can be used instead of both me and I, thus becoming ambiguous?

No comments:

Post a Comment