Wednesday, August 8, 2018

word order - "Was it your father who made these bookshelves?" - Is it a correct / best way to ask if the bookshelves were made by someone's father?


"Was it your father who made these bookshelves?"




vs




"Were these bookshelves made by your father?"





I've been constructing questions (and statements) in the former way quite a lot.



But, I'm having doubts... Is this correct? I'm not sure if I've ever heard (or seen) such a sentence from anyone else (than me)... and it seems too similar to how I'd ask this in my native language (Polish)... so, I wonder, if I didn't unknowingly literately "autotranslate" this question from Polish to English... with the result being either artificial or outright incorrect.



Thus, may I ask if it is true that:




  1. The former sentence is incorrect, only the latter one is correct;

  2. The former sentence is correct, but sounds artificial in English; only the latter sentence should normally be used;

  3. Both sentences are correct and sound naturally; the difference between these two sentences is that they stress slightly different things?


No comments:

Post a Comment