Wednesday, June 6, 2018

punctuation - Am I misusing the semicolon?



Is the semicolon in the following sentence misused?





How can I miss you; we've never met?




I feel that the sentence, to be grammatically correct, must be split into its individual parts.


Answer



Yes, that's wrong. A semicolon is supposed to connect two related clauses. What you have there is a question and a statement, with a semicolon for the question and the question mark on the statement.



Something like "I can't miss you; we've never met." would be proper use of the semicolon.



Or, "How can I miss you? We've never met." would be proper punctuation for the given sentence.




Or, "How can I miss you if we've never met?" would be a proper replacement for the errant semicolon.


No comments:

Post a Comment