Friday, May 5, 2017

pronouns - Microsoft word and confusion about himself/he/him



I am writing a small essay and I am confused about how to how to properly express this particular sentence below:



Chapter 11 begins with the saint chastising the king who was thinking himself to be very intelligent.




My Microsoft Word 2010 said 'himself' should be 'he' like below:



Chapter 11 begins with the saint chastising the king who was thinking he to be very intelligent.



Once I changed it as above, the word then said it should be 'him' and not 'he':



Chapter 11 begins with the saint chastising the king who was thinking him to be very intelligent.



At this point it doesn't complain any more. Is this the right way to use? I want to express that the king was thinking himself to be intelligent but I am not sure if that meaning comes out with him. I would appreciate some explanation on the correct usage and if possible may be some general rules around this.


Answer




Posting an answer using the comment by JohnLawler so I can close this. There is nothing wrong with using 'himself' in the sentence but adding a comma after the king would make it better.



Chapter 11 begins with the saint chastising the king, who was thinking himself to be very intelligent


No comments:

Post a Comment