Thursday, February 25, 2016

syntactic analysis - Why is it that people have started to use an interrogative sentence form when not asking a question in American English?

I'm not sure if this is something recent, although I've been noticing it much more frequently now than say a couple of years ago. Many times people will make a statement, but will have it in an Interrogative form. For example, I recently saw this sentence online:




Consider what are the consequences of not being great in your home.




This was the sentence construction; however, I would have though it would be more like this:





Consider what the consequences of not being great in your home are.




All I did was move the verb, "are" to the end of the sentence.



Why is it that this happens? Is this a recent development in language, or is it that I'm just now noticing it? If I were to use this interrogative form, would it be commonly considered correct in a formal setting?

No comments:

Post a Comment