Sunday, February 14, 2016

grammar - I recommend your reading this question



I remember that we have learnt a structure, what has always been really strange to me. We can say that "I recommend to do something" However in the strange structure we can say something like(I am not sure): "I suggest you(/your) not being here". So it is built up:




[object] [verb] [indirect object] [gerund]


I am not sure that it was exactly like this, but I am eager to find out how it is called, when to use it and if I can use with all kinds of verbs. I hope your figuring this out.


Answer



I recommend that you read first about the so-called 'simple catenative' structures in English ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_catenative_verbs ), and then check on the 'complex catenative' construction (Huddleston & Pullum).



There has been an extensive debate on the actual cases involving recommend as the 'lead' (catenating) verb at http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21740 . Complex catenation:





recommend somebody to do something: We'd recommend you to book your
flight early
.




is licensed by oxfordlearnersdictionaries



but the structure using a that-clause ( We'd recommend that you book your flight early. ) sounds far more idiomatic to me. We'd advise you to book your flight early. is, on the other hand, totally idiomatic.



We recommend your (gerund) is quite a common construction, arguably catenative (how 'verby' are gerunds?) (that they are quite 'nouny' is indicated by the fact that 'your', 'her' etc are often used with them):





We do recommend your leaving the gauze over the surgery site... (Google)



No comments:

Post a Comment