Thursday, May 14, 2015

grammaticality - "As a team" or "like a team"?



I was going through some English page with grammar where I saw their explanation to a problem when to say 'as'/'like' correctly and I have to say I was left perplexed.



The site explained to use like in case of appearance and as more as a functional property of something/someone, for example:




You act like a child.





and




He works as a teacher.




Plus another explanation (as .. as, look like, ...) I thought I understood it.



But a few hours later I got to a situation where I wanted to say: "Let's do it as/like a team." and I don't know which one it should be.




I went through the whole site again, then checked some other sites, but I'm only finding clues which lead to both options, so I hope someone could help me to answer my problem.


Answer




Let's do it as a team.




is the preferred version, though




Let's do it like a team.





is also correct, and here is the difference in my understanding: the first version implies that the people in the question are a team, but they sometimes act not as a team or they might have different ideas about the same thing, but they are a team, and someone suggests to take advantage of that fact. The second version implies that the people are not a team, that's why someone suggests to imitate a team behavior - act like a team.


No comments:

Post a Comment