Wednesday, March 18, 2015

grammar - Proper way of using who and whose clause at the same time



In my writing, I ended up writing the following sentence:




It benefits both students who perform the review and whose work is
reviewed.





I wonder if there is any structural issues in the way I used who and whose. For example, I wonder if it would be better to say:




It benefits both the student who performed the review and the student
whose work was reviewed.




Any ideas? Please also recommend me if I should use present tense (1) or past tense (2)?


Answer



The second version makes sense. In the first version it sounds like both students perform the review, which you obviously don't want to say.




You probably could say it like that:




It benefits those students who perform the review and those, whose work is reviewed.




What tense you use depends on the context, but I think both would work. If you use present tense the benefits apply as they review/work. If you use past tense the benefits still apply even if the performing/working is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment