Sunday, November 30, 2014

grammar - If one sentence begins with a conjunction, and the first one ends with free modifiers, how can I join the two into one sentence?

I have two sentences: one ending with free modifiers, and one beginning with a conjunction. But I want them to be one sentences. Can I use a semicolon or a colon? It seems that if I put a comma there, it would seem awkward because the conjunction would follow the two free modifiers, and it would the syntax would not be clear.



This is the sentence:




Having in times past debated with you over many issues, I could not well contend for my own views, being too nervous to express myself perfectly, too nervous because of you. But now having nothing to make me nervous, I have set down this letter, defending those views which I could not before."


No comments:

Post a Comment