Thursday, December 12, 2013

pronouns - Won't followed by noun



I try to understand the song 'Sober' by band Tool. And there are couple of sentence with won't followed by pronoun or noun and without verb. For example:



'Jesus, won't you f*cking whistle nothing 
But the past and done.'


'Mother Mary won't you whisper nothing
but the past and done.'


Also, I've seen same sentence in the 'Passeneger' by Deftones:



Chrome buttons, buckles and leather surfaces
These and other lucky witnesses
Now to calm me

**This time won't you please**
Drive faster
Roll the windows down


Maybe in Tool's lyrics it is interrogative with dot instead of question mark, but sentence by Deftones I can't understand at all. How should I interpret this?


Answer



"Won't you please drive faster" is a slightly more insistent variant of "Please drive faster".


No comments:

Post a Comment