Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Gerunds - Should they be a word class of their own?

I'm a bit astonished about the long discussions in the post How can I prove a word is a noun? I admit that there a certain problems, especially with gerunds.




  • Smoking cigarettes is unhealty.




In this example, containing a gerund with an object, it is indeed a bit difficult to say to which word class "smoking" belongs. Is it a noun or a verb?



Traditionally the gerund is seen as a verb form with a double nature. It can behave as a noun and as a verb.



I think it would be practical to see the gerund also as a special word class, a noun-verb thing. In this way we could avoid a lot of problems that arise about the word class noun when we come across gerunds with objects.



My question: Would it be practical to see gerunds as a word class of its own?

No comments:

Post a Comment