Friday, June 21, 2013

word choice - "which" vs "that"


Possible Duplicates:
Correct usage of which/that
When is it appropriate to use 'that' as opposed to 'which'?






I'm not a native English speaker and I must confess I'm quite confused about when I should use which in place of that and viceversa.



Is there a particular rule?




For example, let's take this sentence.




The method returns a Whois::Answer instance which essentially looks and behaves like a String but it's way more powerful than a string.




Is it which correct or should I have used that?



A few more examples:





It also includes a huge set of data parsers which converts a raw registry response into a pure Ruby object.




and




The only exception to this rule is the Timeout::Error exception which is intentionally left unmanaged.


No comments:

Post a Comment