Monday, April 29, 2013

punctuation - What is the proper way to punctuate "but no"?



I'm trying to figure out the proper usage and punctuation of "but no". I think it's one of the following:





  • You figure I would have made at least one post about Arthur C. Clarke’s “2010” during 2010. But no, I missed the entire year.

  • You figure I would have made at least one post about Arthur C. Clarke’s “2010” during 2010. But, no. I missed the entire year.





Is one of those accurate, or is there a better way?


Answer



Note that you're worrying about the correct placement of a comma in a situation which flouts the grade school rule, "do not begin a sentence with a conjunction like and or but".



What you have here is a casual narrative:



You figure I would have made at least one post about Arthur C. Clarke’s “2010” during 2010. But no. I missed the entire year.



This is not formal writing but prose. An art form. (Is it correct to paint it in watercolor, or should you use oil? Acrylic?)




Hey look, I used "An art form" as a sentence. A fragment! No predicate or anything. Oops, I made like Britney Spears and did it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment