Thursday, April 4, 2013

punctuation - Using the semicolon in my sentence



I am writing an essay and don't have a fundamental understanding in using semicolons, and in fact writing as well.



My sentence is below:




Group dynamics is the study of the processes and functions of two or more people who interact with one another, the term could also be used to explain the processes that are involved between the group members.





Should I add a semicolon where the comma is (after the word another)?


Answer



The purpose of a semicolon is to separate two independent clauses without fully cutting them off like a period. This gives the effect that the ideas in the independent clauses are closely related to one another. I think that having a semicolon would make your essay seem more connected. Of course, there's always the choice of a period, but for me, it's the semicolon


No comments:

Post a Comment