Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How to avoid past/future tense?

I'm writing a Software Design Document. It is being written in parallel to the development, so as some features are already finished they are written in past tense (the only way I know of articulating that is past tense). As for features which haven't yet been developed, I only know how to articulate that in the future tense. Is there a way to declare the same thing (I'm sure a verb is needed), without tense? And a common, colloquial, non-odd sounding way too?



I currently have these 2 problems with being forced to use past or future tense,





  1. When a feature is implemented, it must be updated in the spec doc. Not a bad practice, but if it is missed then it will be misleading and confusing, not a good thing.

  2. I want the software design document to talk only about the specifications, since it is a specification document. I don't want to to be correlated to the progress of the project.



For example, my statements about the specifications are as follows:




  • The configuration file produced is in the Windows INI format.

  • The user will be prompted to

No comments:

Post a Comment