Sunday, March 31, 2013

Can last names be shortened just as first names?



I know first names are usually shortened in verbal communication for reasons that I am not clear about. For example, Andrew becomes Andy.



But is it also the case for last names? If yes, what is the reason? Is it polite or impolite? For example, if I am correct, I heard once that Robinson is shortened to Robin by a third person in the US.


Answer



Shortened versions of surnames (last names) are often used as nicknames in English-speaking countries, but normally by people on very familiar terms with the person and therefore not in quite the same way as Robert might be shortened to Bob or Steven to Steve.



In my experience (predominantly British English) longer surnames such as Robinson and Brightman might be shortened to Robbo or Brighty or even extended from one sylable to two with the addition of an "o" or "y", e.g. Brown to Browny.




I would emphasise that this isn't something that would happen outside relatively close circles of friends, teammates or colleagues.


No comments:

Post a Comment