Saturday, September 8, 2012

word choice - two times three

When someone says "two times three', which do you imagine, 3+3 or 2+2+2?



When someone says "multiply two by three, which do you imagine, 3+3 or 2+2+2?




The results are the same, but the concept may be different.






I think I need more explanation about this question.
When you see 2x3, you would probably say two times three or multiplying two by three. Multiplying two by three means 2+2+2. Then, why do you say two times three for 2x3?






I'm not sure that this is off topic. I would like to know what "two times three" means as a language. Does it mean 3+3? If so, why do you say two times three when you read 2x3? I feel 2x3 means three times two as you say 2 multiplied by 3 to read 2x3.




I am not interested in the Math logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment