Friday, September 21, 2012

grammaticality - Is this a correct sentence: The latter is a leaf and the former a branch




I am correcting a journal paper about mathematics.



Is this a correct and complete sentence:




The latter is a leaf and the former a branch.




(I did not provide the context of the sentence, since I don't think it is necessary for the grammar. My co-author had a comma before the word "and", which is definitely wrong in my opinion. I goggled "conjunctive clause" but did not find a helpful answer. Btw, my mother tang is German.)




Btw, I was looking for an explanation such as given by G.L. "The gapping rule".


Answer



The latter is a leaf and the former a branch.
Looks fine enough. Why not speak in chronological order and say "The former is a branch and the latter a leaf."


No comments:

Post a Comment