Friday, January 27, 2012

Is there a word like behold and hark but for any combination of sensory methods e.g. "be-sense"

I am looking for a word similar to behold and hark which applies to calling attention to or attending with senses to some phenomenon using any combination of sensory methods/channels (light, sound, touch, pressure, temperature, vibration, smell, taste) e.g. "be-sense", as in "Be-sense this peculiar animal", "Are you be-sensing that?" or "they be-sensed the asteroid impact without knowing what it was".



An earlier question hark behold smell asked if there was an olfactory equivalent of behold (visual sense) and hark (auditory-sense).



This question broaches the topic but doesn't address my specific question.



I was hoping to use behold until I read in this forum that it tends to be used exclusively for visual sensing.




I wish to exclude words which have cognitive connotations such as know, ken, perceive, notice.



As suggested by FumbleFingers the word sense on its own is technically a good fit but to me has connotations of subtlety e.g. "they sensed that something was not quite right".



I am also looking for a word that implies active concentration rather than passive registration in the manner of "he looked at" rather than "he saw", "she listened to" rather than "she heard", " we be-sensed" rather than "we sensed".

No comments:

Post a Comment