Wednesday, November 2, 2011

hyphenation - "You should be well-organised" or "You should be well organised"?



Should I hyphenate the term 'well organised'? The context, if it matters, is the following sentence:





For this role you should be well organised and analytical with some research ability.




(I see there are other question here about hyphenation; do point me to one if this falls under a general rule, I just couldn't see it.)


Answer



Of course the context matters. I think it tells you whether a hyphen is needed or not.



Use a hyphen with compound adjectives (such as well-organized) when they precede a noun.





  • It was a well-organized meeting.



When the description follows the noun, no hyphen is necessary.




  • Her office is well organized.




In your example, I would not hyphenate the phrase.


No comments:

Post a Comment