Wednesday, January 8, 2020

questions - Meaning of negation in embedded yes/no interrogatives



I suppose we can say that the meaning of




I asked him if he likes beer




is essentially identical to





I asked him: "Do you like beer?".




But what if I say:




I asked him if he didn't like beer





Is this question even grammatical and does it make sense at all? If yes then what direct question would it entail? Is it




I asked him: "Don't you like beer?"




Or




I asked him: "You don't like beer, do you?"




Answer



The basic form of the direct question would be




"Don't you like beer?"




and, while





"You don't like beer, do you?"




is semantically identical, we use it in a different context. The first question is one of surprise (if she seems not to) or affirmation (if you believe she does). The second question is looking for confirmation of your belief that the other person doesn't like beer, either personally or because you feel beer is just awful and all right-thinking people avoid it.



Pace @MaddieS. you should never answer a negative question with a one-word answer. It's completely ambiguous whether that means you're negating the question or affirming it. You'll spend the next minute or two of the conversation in needless loop trying to figure out what was intended, which can be offputting when someone expects their logic or phrasing should have been straightforward. Instead, just answer the whole thing: "No, I don't", or "Yes, I don't like beer at all".


No comments:

Post a Comment