Tuesday, October 15, 2019

prepositions - "[...] up with which I will not put."



Okay, I'm probably being a bit slow here, but I don't quite understand this story:




Supposedly an editor had clumsily rearranged one of Churchill’s sentences to avoid ending it in a preposition, and the Prime Minister, very proud of his style, scribbled this note in reply: “This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.”




I mean, it made me laugh, but that was mostly because of how stupid it sounded, not because I actually understand what's going on here. Anyone care to explain it? In particular, which are the prepositions?


Answer





  • This is the sort of English I will not put up with.



"With" is a preposition (and it's "wrong" to end a sentence with one.)




  • This is the sort of English with which I will not put up.




"Up" is still a preposition, so we gotta change it again.




  • This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.



And there we have Churchill's response.



(PS. I am ignoring whether it's actually his response, or his altered response, or what have you, and focusing on the initial question. :) )


No comments:

Post a Comment