Friday, March 22, 2019

Do you ever use 'is' in a past tense narrative?

It's a story written in the past tense, but once I named the characters I found myself saying 'is' instead of 'was' and couldn't decide if it was right or wrong.




IS:




Mom loved our movie nights and made sure there was one at least once a week. Her name is Sarah Marsh. My last name is Bertrum. Bertrum was my mom's maiden name, but after she married Brice's father, Weston Marsh, seven years ago, she changed it.




WAS:





Mom loved our movie nights and made sure there was one at least once a week. Her name was Sarah Marsh. My last name was Bertrum. Bertrum was my mom's maiden name, but after she married Brice's father, Weston Marsh, seven years ago, she changed it.




'Was' just looked so bizarre to me, but is it the correct choice in this case?

No comments:

Post a Comment