Thursday, March 8, 2018

Use of reflexive pronoun (you or yourself)?





Given the choice in sentences:





  • I appreciate the help from both yourself and Bob.

  • I appreciate the help from both you and Bob.




Which is correct?




I'm stuck because I can't seem to understand reflective pronouns. Can "yourself" only be used when the subject is also "you"?


Answer



This is not a reflexive pronoun usage of 'yourself' ('Have you washed yourself?') Neither is it an emphatic usage ('You yourself should phone him') or (AHDEL)




1c. Used in an absolute construction: In office yourself, you helped
push the bill along.





or this set expression (AHDEL)





  1. Your normal or healthy condition: Are you feeling yourself again?




RHK Websters identifies this particular usage/s:






  1. (used in place of you in various compound and comparative constructions): Ted and yourself have been elected; a girl no older
    than yourself.




I'd prefer it here; in normal conversation I believe it has the pragmatic advantage of not sounding too abrupt (I'd like both Bob and yourself to contribute a few pounds to the fund) or, as here, sounding rather matey (rather than highbrow; of course, tone makes all the difference). I'm surprised that a US dictionary (rather than say Collins) is the one to pick up on this usage.


No comments:

Post a Comment