Monday, December 21, 2015

grammar - Referring to an object previously mentioned in the sentence



I wish to know, if the bellow sentence is grammatically correct and where I can find more information on forming such sentences





Can you share with me the coordinates of the measuring station, who's
data you sent me last week?




Context: Last week a friend of mine sent me some data and asked me to analyse it. Now I wish to know the coordinates, but I'm not sure, if by using who in the sentence, I am referring to the measuring station in the correct manner (is it a he, a she, or an it).


Answer



Drop the comma and use "whose":




Can you share with me the coordinates of the measuring station whose data you sent me last week?





"Whose" is the possessive form of "who", while "who's" is a contraction of "who is".



Besides that, your sentence is both correct and idiomatic.


No comments:

Post a Comment